Because being a great basketball player isn't enough, Kieron Achara has been named as a candidate for the Lowe's Senior CLASS award. The award honors the attributes of college basketball seniors who remain committed to their university and pursue the many rewards that a senior season and complete college education brings.
I still remember when former head coach Danny Nee brought Kieron into the program back in 2003, I figured here is another 6-10 bum, another Chris Clark or #00 Derek Ahern (pictured right, getting stuffed). Well i was wrong. Kieron has had a strong career at Duquesne which has not seen significant contributions from a big man in a LONG TIME.
Here are some Kieron Achara achievements:
- Atlantic 10 All-Defensive Team for 2006-07 season
- Atlantic 10 Chris Daniels Award winner in 2004-05 (most improved player award)
- Has led the Dukes in field goal percentage and blocked shots in each of his first three full seasons.
- Member of the 2004-05 and 2006-07 Atlantic 10 All-Academic Teams.
- Is the only Scottish player currently competing at the NCAA Division I level.
- Played for the Scottish National Team.
- Kieron is 2 points shy of 1,000 on his career going into the Pitt game tonight.