I am in a state of shock. Duquesne lost to the worst team in the A1o, St. Bonaventure, by 15 points! The Bonnies had lost 6 games in a row and had yet to pick up a win in conference play coming into this afternoon's game against the Dukes. All that changed today.
I only was able to listen to the first half of the game so I can't really comment on why the Dukes lost other than they played terribly. The Bonnies used a 7 man rotation against the Dukes 10/40 and were able to win by 15, something went horribly wrong for Duquesne today.
Some notables from the box score:
- The Dukes only had two players score in double figures
- Gary Tucker led the Dukes with 13 points on 5-10 shooting from the field. Tuck also had 3 assists, 3 steals, and 0 turnovers.
- Aaron Jackson: 11 points, 4-8FG, 5 assists, 7 rebounds, 2 turnovers
- Duquesne shot 36% from the field and 22% from beyond the arch
- Tyler Benson (pictured right) scored a season high 15 points, while adding 5 rebounds and 5 assists for Saint Bonaventure.
What does this loss mean?
This is a huge loss for Duquesne. The UMass loss eliminated the Dukes slim chance of an at large bid for the NCAA Tournament. The Dukes NIT chances are now at a critical status with this loss to the Bonnies. A loss at home on Wednesday to St. Joe's would basically kill our hopes for the NIT. A week ago Duquesne fans were talking about going to the NCAA Tournament now after loses to UMass and St. Bonaventure maybe we should change our goal to a winning season.